CRITCHLOW SMASHES COURSE RECORD IN SUSSEX CA 50
- Published: 02 Aug 20
- Written By: Frazer Snowdon
Andy Critchlow (Norwood Paragon CC) smashed the course record by 29 seconds on his way to winning the Sussex CA 50, but was pushed all the way for victory.
Meanwhile, Victoria Miller (Brighton Mitre CC) took the women’s win.
Critchlow, aged 46, clocked a time one hour, 45 minutes and 26 seconds which was just three seconds quicker than Christopher McNamara (Nuun-Sigma Sport).
The G50/10 course record previously stood at 1-45-55 and was set by veteran Mark Smith.
McNamara, who held the event record of 1-46-10 smashed that time and the course record, but still had to settle for second in 1-45-29.
The G50/10 is not known for fast times and consists of mostly single carriageway, 568 metres of climbing and four turns for riders to navigate.
However, a calmer morning than experienced for last week’s Sussex CA 30 saw an unprecedented 18 riders finish inside the two-hour mark.
Critchlow failed to finish the Sussex CA 30 and finished seventh in Saturday’s South Eastern RC 10.
However, he was in perfect form in West Sussex to take the win ahead of McNamara in second and Paul Burton (Paceline RT) in third 1-47-03.
Meanwhile, Miller took her first women’s event win in her first open event of the year clocking a winning time of 2-18-05.
* All reports are copyright of Cycling Time Trials/Snowdon Sports. Not to be used without permission.
1. Andy Critchlow (Norwood Paragon CC) 1:45.26
2. Christopher McNamara (Nuun-Sigma Sport) 1:45.29
3. Paul Burton (Paceline RT) 1:47.03
4. Mark Smith (Crawley Whls) 1:49.17
5. Neil Harrigan (Gemini BC) 1:50.03
6. Andrew Meilak (VeloRefined Rule 5) 1:50.09
7. Matthew Smith (Team TMC) 1:51.02
8. Steve Kane (Team TMC) 1:51.32
9. Kevin Tye (VeloRefined Rule 5) 1:53.22
10. Justin Webb (VTTA London + Home Counties) 1:55.42
11. Chris Jones (Bynea CC) 1:56.03
12. Brendan Reese (Army Cycling) 1:56.09
Woman: Victoria Miller (Brighton Mitre CC) 2:18.05
Team: VeloRefined Rule 5 (Andrew Meilak, Kevin Tye & Paul Smith) 5:45.51